Thursday 31 May 2012

Aligning Inner Worlds with Outer Realities

Are we clear on who we are and what we want to do with our lives when we leave school?

I remember when I left school, I enrolled to do a degree in Politics and Economics because I thought this would give me the best foothold in a business environment.

Luckily, after a semester of grinding my way through statistical analysis, I realized this was not for me. So I went over to the Humanities and did a Bachelors degree in English and History instead.

Looking back now, although I enjoyed these 2 subjects tremendously, I still don’t think it was aligned with where I wanted to go.

I was always on the lookout for something deeper, something more meaningful and I found that in the personal development space, in mindset, and psychological development, and in integral theory and philosophy.

I don’t think enough work is done to understand what areas of study and education are best suited to our own personal development. The right questions are not asked and there is not enough provocation to get future generations thinking about how they should align with their authentic selves thereby giving themselves the best opportunity for success, while possibly making a difference.

I believe that more coaches, mentors and apprenticeships guiding young people on their journeys from adolescence into adulthood could ultimately save us a lot of time, stress, and undue resistance and push-back against outer realities due to our misconceptions of those realities. This is due to the fact that we do not understand or have misaligned our inner worlds with such external realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment