Monday 4 June 2012

In the Flow

I have been contemplating this word ‘flow’ for a day now and what it means to live in the flow.

What does it mean for you?

Is it when you’re in the zone, in the present moment, when things are running smoothly, you’re engaged, cooperating with other people in a meaningful way, you’re relaxed but focussed at the same time, you feel at a place where you’re working towards a higher purpose and that purpose is drawing ever nearer to you..?

If you’re in the flow are you in the groove? Like a feeling, a feeling that is beyond all rational thought, something that transcends and includes mind, body and spirit.

Have you ever been in the flow?

Maybe in an exam where you’re so focussed that you just feel like you’re nailing every question, or perhaps when you’ve listen to a piece of music, when you’re immersed in a hobby or engaging with friends or family..?

I think Eckhart Tolle summed up the word quite nicely when he said: “Beauty arises in the stillness of your presence... Beyond the beauty of external forms, there is more here: something that cannot be named, something ineffable, some deep, inner, holy essence. Whenever and wherever there is beauty, this inner essence shines through somehow.”

What does to be in the ‘flow’ mean for you?

1 comment:

  1. I/m always reminded of Tao when I think of flow. Effortless effort, doing great work by do nothing. It would seem that like all words, there is the scarcity, enlightened and abundant definitions. Flow in abundance would suggest to me participation, doing something, aware, awake, in your sweet spot.

    Now the question I ask myself, is can I be there intentionally, even when I'm not doing what I'm enjoying doing. Can I be there even in a very demanding situation. I have found I can, but I need to get very creative about how I understand the situation. I have to look hard to see that which is interesting and beautiful below the surface, something I can connect to, surrender to... flow with.

    Of course is pretty easy to flow in meditation, cos it's all good there.

    ReplyDelete