Wednesday 2 May 2012

What's your Intention when you Communicate?

Ask yourself the question: what do you really want and how can you use communication to help you achieve that?

Let’s say I’ve been working at the same company for 3 years - meeting targets, satisfying shareholder value, exceeding expectations - without a raise in salary.

I now feel frustrated because I look around and I see opportunities to earn a lot more with my skills and experience.

If I still want to work for the company, then I must communicate my need to earn more money to my boss or director.

“I feel frustrated because over the past 3 years I’ve sweated blood to meet and exceed targets to satisfy shareholder value without any value-add on my part. I need more money for the amount of work I put in. So, given my skills and experience, I request a 25% increase in salary.”

If my need can’t be met and I can’t put up with my current rate, then I need to start looking for a better paid job.

No comments:

Post a Comment