Tuesday 26 November 2013

New Economy (Cooperation) vs Old Economy (Competition)



The industrial growth economy was built on competition - more for me means less for you. I'll fight and trample you on my way to the top of this hierarchical system, and I'll do it by any means necessary. There's no place for second best here.

The problem with this type of economy is that it's fear-based. It's built on the maxim that if I'm right, you must be wrong. Or if I'm good then you must be bad. And if I'm successful then I deserve it and if you're unsuccessful then you deserve that too!

In this type of economy we're always coming from within the perception of limit and scarcity. And this has led us down the path of self-destruction - personally, relationally and environmentally. The inherent inequality in such a system raises questions about the growth economy. Which leads us to....

The connection economy. The connection economy is built on trust, interest, curiosity and excitement - I want to participate because I'm passionate and this aligns neatly with my talents.

If the connection economy is built on cooperation, how do you go about building trust? You build trust the same way you build any relationship; through communication. And a good starting point is to create empathy and understanding.

How do you build understanding? You can build understanding by listening - listening to your customers, your parents, your children, your friends. Authentic communication is communication that's centered on a balance of heart and mind, feelings and thoughts, meeting each others needs, making clear requests and taking on other perspectives.

Of course it's useful to have some assimilation of either vision or values to create the initial connection. But from then on, the connection economy is all about working together for each other as well as something greater than self or other. The connection economy requires the ability to hold multiple perspectives.

And more complexity requires a higher level of psychological maturity. If you want to participate in the connection economy you need to unlock greater psychological flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment