Friday 5 April 2013

Your Worldview can Prevent You From Seeing Things as They Are



Your worldview shapes you as a person. But it can also prevent you from seeing the world as it is. Being locked into a particular worldview shapes your assumptions, your logic and even your outcomes.

Not being able to see anything outside of one particular worldview can be limiting. As soon as we encounter a worldview that either challenges or contradicts our worldview, we either end up pushing back against that contradiction or resisting it outright. We don't like it when our worldview is undermined or challenged.

I don't see that because a particular worldview shapes your assumptions, that it should be immediately framed in terms of right or wrong. More or less useful perhaps, but right or wrong no. We've been taught to believe in theories and models that are either right or wrong and this creates suffering.

Here's an analogy:  I've been brought up in a fundamental Christian household. I've been taught to believe in the Christian creationism ideology, this frames my outlook on how the universe was formed. Any perception that I encounter outside this ideology I immediately perceive as wrong. Any contradictory model of how the universe was formed, I resist by defending my own particular worldview.

 This form of resistance and shutting out of ulterior narratives to my own keeps me locked into my worldview. My consciousness thus fails to expand and I fail to grow spiritually or psychologically. This scarcity based logic cannot perceive of either the Big Bang or Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. It negates 13.7 billion years of evolution, it negates that the dinosaurs ever existed.

There's nothing right or wrong with this worldview, it just cannot see anything outside of its own ideologies and narratives. If however, I really took the time to inquire into the contradictory worldview with a very light, intuitive frame of mind, then perhaps I would be able to use the contradiction to transcend my own limiting perspectives.

I'm not suggesting that religion or spirituality has no place in current society. On the contrary I think any form of spirituality can be used to grow and develop an individual only if there's an awareness of how it shapes a particular worldview. That worldview can either assist you in seeing things with clarity and purpose, or it can limit your psycho-spiritual growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment