Friday 21 December 2012

Where there's Darkness, so must there be Light

Earlier in the year I did a post on doubt - it being the number one buzz killer. You can find that post here.

I have done a lot of reflecting on doubt and fear over the last few months, causing me to question my interpretation thereof. This was inspired by a conversation I had on fear and all it's forms with a couple of people I worked with in the coaching space. Here's a post related to that conversation. 

Although doubt and fear can take many forms, like fear of recurring past traumatic events or doubt about the future or doubt about ones own abilities, I am starting to realize that doubt and fear can be huge catalysts for meaningful change. 

But that's only if we're open to letting our fears and doubts in. Only then can we learn from them. If we resist fear and doubt then they invariably cause more pain and ongoing suffering. Our egos love to wollow in this poor-me, self-obsessed, narcissist merry-go-round. 

Over time I've learnt that merely observing this impulse breaks the shackles of victim-hood. Doubt has taught me that I don't have to have all the answers to take action aligned with my vision. 

Connecting with who you are (identity) and knowing where you want to go (vision) is crucial to overcoming fear and letting go of doubt. Sure, there are going to be set-backs along the way and this will cause doubt and fear to surface, but this is part of the journey. 

The more aware of who we are and what's going on around us, the easier it is to transcend all the pain of fear and doubt, to live fully in the present moment, and create the kind of life we want - now. I'm starting to see fear and doubt as opportunities for growth. Where there's darkness, so must there be light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment