Tuesday 27 March 2012

Loss of Focus = Loss of Results

The Nature of Maintaining Personal & Relational Growth.


I’ve got 4 bonsais - a couple of acacias, a marula, and a fig which I enjoy tending to. Pruning, watering, weeding.

I know that I need to maintain them and water them at least once, if not twice a day as these types of trees flourish with lots of water in the hot African climate.

If I neglect them then weeds begin to sprout, the roots don’t get the required amount of water and the foliage is not healthy and robust.

If I take my eye off them for 2 days or longer then I must spend extra time on them, especially the weeding. But if I do a bit of work on them every day, then it’s relatively smooth sailing.

One untended weed however quickly turns into 2, which turns into 4, which turns into 8 and so they increase exponentially.

Similarly when everything is going swimmingly at work or at home, then everything seems intact. But what happens when for example, we have an argument with a work colleague or partner?

What happens when we neglect the needs of our partner or boss? In such times of high anxiety or pressure at work, the unwanted or careless thought consumes all in its path in a millisecond.

Much like staying focused on maintaining my bonsais, I think we have to work at maintaining the poise and practice to stay mentally focussed, alert, open, and responsive to develop and grow on a personal and relational level as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment