Tuesday 15 January 2013

Mindset: the key to Creativity & Innovation in a Psychological World

If we take a moment to step back and reflect on the amount of information we process on a daily basis, I think it's safe to say more and more of what we do is shaped by knowledge.

With such a vast expanse of information available at our fingertips, it's becoming more important to understand how we interpret such information and how this affects our mindset, and therefore our sense of well being.

Mindset is the totality of your beliefs, assumptions, attitude, premise, values and world-view. All these concepts shape your mindset and impact your behavior which impacts your relationships as well as your successes or failures.

In an increasingly complex world where stress is the number one cause of disease and illness in society, our ability to master mindset, to be able to stay relax and focus, is now more relevant than ever before.

Other than our state of consciousness, mindset mastery paves the way for creativity, innovation and productivity. We do this by initiating change that involves challenging the assumptions we've taken as reality.

For example, say I have been brought up in a strictly Christian home. My assumptions and ideologies have been shaped around Christian values. I perceive any religion outside of Christianity as something that is wrong. One day I meet someone who I befriend. We get along well, we share the same interests; sport, philosophy and investing in emerging markets. But then one day I learn that my new friend is Islamic. Suddenly my perception shifts and my world-view is shaken. This forces me to really question my deep-seated assumptions or beliefs. In this instance, does my view of Christianity being something that is fundamentally right, while all other religions as fundamentally wrong, serve me?

We're undergoing some radical shifts that are forcing us to examine our assumptions about the way the world works. The systems that we use and their flawed lines of logic seem to be more stark with every passing day. Resources are becoming increasingly scarce and therefore more expensive, financial systems are built on and driven by debt and global warming is emerging as a threat to civilization. How will we think about these realities and how will they shape our world-views, values, and assumptions moving forward?

Old systems, patterns of thinking and ways of doing things are no longer serving our needs. It's time for us to recognize that everything we do comes from a certain set of assumptions. And those assumptions shape our environments - both internal and external. Never do we take action without a premise. Whether you watch TV, spend time at work, or go to gym - all comes from a premise.

The only way that we can get a grip on mindset so we can shape and build new systems, is to begin to really question things. Where do my assumptions come from and do they serve me, my community or my environment? This allows for a certain vulnerability and flexibility to open up to the learning process which ultimately serves our personal and systemic development.


No comments:

Post a Comment